If you have been the victim of a crime or witnessed a crime, the Sonoma County Victim Services Division can help you. The Victim Services program was created by the passage of Section 13835 et seq. of the California State Penal Code, which mandates local comprehensive centers for victim and witness assistance throughout California.
The Sonoma County Victim Services Division is one of the special programs designed to reduce the trauma and insensitive treatment victims and witnesses may experience following a crime. We are committed to helping crime victims and their families reorganize and reclaim their lives. Our staff seeks to make the criminal justice system more understandable, accessible, and responsive to the concerns of victims and their families. We provide assistance from the moment the crime occurs for as long as necessary.
Our Victim Advocates work to ensure that crime victims and their family members are provided the services and information necessary to be an integral part of the criminal case process. It’s our mission to ensure that you are treated fairly and that your voice is heard.
The Advocates can provide the following services:
- Information on your rights as a crime victim
- Guidance in dealing with the court system
- Assistance in filling out applications for the California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) to reimburse you for out-of-pocket expenses related to your victimization
- Ongoing support while you learn to cope
- Spanish speaking advocates are available
Victim Services Division works with CalVCB to provide claim assistance.